Wednesday 22 July 2015

Smoky Sweet Potato and Black Bean Salad

This recipe came from Dreena Burton's Plant Powered Kitchen blog. I have one of Dreena's books- Let Them Eat Vegan, which is quickly becoming one of my favourites. She knows how to cook. Her recipes often take a little longer, not because they're difficult, but because there are often several ingredients including an array of spices. I appreciate this because it elevates a recipe from good to great.  And that is worth a few extra minutes for me, in my kitchen (where I love to be, anyway). Today I also ordered 2 more of her cookbooks- Vive le Vegan and Eat, Drink and Be Vegan which I have out on loan from the library (my way of trying a book before I invest in it!)

This recipe is easy and SO GOOD. I peeled, diced and steamed the sweet potato and it took 10 minutes, instead of 40-60 minutes in the oven. I didn't have enough cucumber so cut some kohlrabi into little dices and that worked well. You could add other ingredients as substitutions or additions as well. I topped it with some avocado and roasted sunflower seeds. The dressing is perfect- zippy but not crazy spicy. I made it in a separate jar and drizzled it into the salad rather than adding it directly in.

You can also sub some mango and avocado instead of sweet potato (her suggestion). And there are other ways of serving it too, just read her post.

Enjoy this salad- you'll be glad you made it!


link to this recipe http://bit.ly/1TQNo9k

No comments:

Post a Comment